Friday, May 22, 2009

SELF DISCOVERY

The clock had ticked past eight when I stepped into the VFS centre in Infantry road to apply for my UK visa. Even at that early hour (at least for me) there was a sizeable crowd at the centre, and they were of all age groups, from different stratas of society and with different purposes.

But they all wore a common expression -- anxiety. There was this elderly gentleman who tried to strike a conversation with everyone around him, but never could manage to get that anxious look away from the clock on the far end of the wall. Perhaps, waiting for the receptionist to call out his name.

Then there was a couple, probably into their fifties, holding each others hand and glancing all around nervously like a pair of college lovers. All of a sudden the attention shifted to a hefty man who barged into the room, seemingly unaware of the next step and he made a short tour to all the counters in the room before settling next to me. His first question, "Did they called my number?" I couldn't suppress a rather loud chuckle, and the man, whom I am seeing for the first time in my life, gave me an annoyed look.

Amidst all these commotions, a smug thought nestled into my mind. "Hey you folks! There is no need to panic so much. Visa process will take at least a week despite all your frantic efforts. I know it guys.. after all I have been to England in 2007." But I did not have the courage to openly express my thoughts as Adam Sandler did in Wedding Planner.

Finally, my turn came after a nearly 4-hour wait. The agent received me with a huge smile, and after checking my documents he said all of a sudden, "Oh G Unnikrishnan from Deccan Herald?" I felt like the fifth Beatle at that moment for I expected his next comments to be "I have read you a lot and I like your writing.. blah blah..." Any journalist, I am sure, will feel like that and if somebody says differently he/she will be lying blatantly or just pretending to be worldy wise.

But his words interrupted the functioning of my cocky brain. "Since you are going to UK to cover the T20 WC could you please arrange a couple of tickets for my pals in UK?"

Mr G Unnikrishnan, welcome back to earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment