Wednesday, July 29, 2009

THOUGHTS FROM A SEDATE FORTNIGHT

I have been thinking about changing the look of this blog for a while now. I have taken the first few steps on Tuesday (28-7-2009) by adding one of photos and opting for a new layout. But still a few more things have to be done which I hope to do in the coming weeks.

It has been a rather sedate two weeks as my life travelled through the familiar routes between home and office. The only point of interest has been an offer from my friend -- Greg Landsdowne -- to write in his magazine 'Big Hitter' and hopefully things will fall in place in the coming days.

Writing for a magazine has always fascinated me because it allows you that extra bit of time to work on the stories, something you cannot expect in a daily. The quality of your story, I believe, is bound to increase and of course you can also write about 1500 words, helping to incorporate more ideas.

The biggest challenge of a magazine writer is to think of a fresh angle as you will often be dealing with a subject that has already been written a lot in various newspapers.

I agree that magazine writers may miss the thrill of day-to-day reporting, especially something big happens, or the buzz of bringing out the edition on a special occasion.

Despite all that, I still fancy shifting to a magazine at some point of time in future. By no means I am a perfectionist, but I have been a constant explorer to find ways to improve as a writer and trying to walk away from the trodden path. I might have experienced a few fumblings on the way, but I hope to learn and emerge stronger from those falls.

Hopefully, I can give a new impetus to the process during the next week when I will don my thinking hat to find a story for my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment