Monday, July 6, 2009

WATCHING THE MASTER, AND HOW!!

Friday, July 6, 2007. It will always remain a special day in my life. I watched the greatest tennis player in the history, Roger Federer, on that slightly hot London afternoon at the Wimbledon Centre Court . But I also met a man with a golden heart.
The Swiss maestro was playing against Spain's Juan Carlos Ferrero in the quarterfinals, but I could not have watched that match without the help of a magnanimous, London policeman.
I was standing outside the gates of Wimbledon waiting for a colleague to get my temporary pass that allows entry into the press box, shopping area and the cafes. After a considerable wait, I decided to take some rest and sat on the pavement. Then I saw an elderly cop approaching me, and the first thought crossed my mind was I did something wrong sitting on the sidewalk. But the 45-something gentleman suddenly pushed something into my hand and said, "Young man go and watch the match. Tough to get tickets these days." He walked off without even giving me a chance to offer my gratitiude.
Still it did not struck me that I had a ticket to watch the matches at the Centre Court. I could not believe it once I realised what I had in my sweaty palms, and without wasting much time I rushed to the Centre Court to catch some action. The policeman could have sold that ticket worth GBP 60 to someone for an amount of his wish. But he chose to give it to me, the bells of St Paul's Cathedral might have rang then.
Back to action. Federer and Ferrero was warming up when I took the seat, and the next few hours I saw the master in two different zones.
In the first phase, Federer was struggling with his shots, and the precision of his opponent. He won the first set 7-6, but lost the second.
The third and fourth sets saw the re-emergence of Federer, the El Magnifico. The Swiss was all fluid grace -- serving smooth and big, unfurling some silky but powerful groundstrokes. It was like watching a Rolls Royce Phantom in full throttle -- all power and elegance with minimum fuss. It was an unforgettable sight, a pure genius in action and such moments make your life as a sports journalist worth the toil. Thank you Roger for a wonderful show.
But it would not have happened for that kind-hearted, but still unknown cop. Thank you sir!

No comments:

Post a Comment