Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A VALUABLE LESSON

Perhaps, it is not always necessary to interact with great persons to learn lessons. Their mere presence can instill a fresh perspective in you. I had such an experience many years ago, though the frustration of missing an opportunity to meet a well-known philanthropist and spiritual leader still lingers in my mind.

I don't remember the year or day, but it was some 15 years ago that I briefly met, the only time in my life, this pious man with a saintly face and a touching, expressive laugh --Sri Sri Ravishankar.


I would not have remembered that chancy, but highly remarkable, meeting if I would not have gone through one my colleague's blog that was written on the occasion of Guru Poornima.

A staunch devotee of Lord Guruvayoorappan, I grabbed the chance to perform a concert (Carnatic vocal) in the Guruvayooor temple with an elated heart. Never mind it was my 9th concert in front of my favourite deity.


I got a timing of 1 hr 30 minutes to sing from 6 pm, and it was the temple's rush hour. There was nearly 1500 attendees in the mantap (hall) and, by God's grace, I was able to catch their attention. But towards the end of my programme there was a commotion near the left entrance of the stage, and I saw a man clad in white entering the hall and listening the last 7-10 minutes of my rendetion -- the penultimate number was Aparadhamula Norva (Raga-Rasali) and then the customary mangalam Pavamana in raga Sourashtram.

On my way out one of the organisers led me to the person, and he said, "Good, fluent voice. Let the God bless you to keep it alright." My reply was limited to a rather quick and polite "Thanks" before hurrying towards my friends and relatives.

Though it was a very brief meeting, the image of the person was not faded from my mind, and later my cousin, Ramanathan, told who he was. I cursed myself for missing a golden chance to meet a much-reverred individual in detail.

It taught me a fine lesson -- never squander the chance to meet a great personality for you might not a get a second chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment